linux How to persist bash history? - Super User
bash: /etc/profile: Invalid argument bash: /.bash_profile: Invalid argument A: You need to first create the directory /tmp. Assuming your cygwin root directory is called C:/cygwin, that means you should first create the directory C:/cygwin/tmp.... .profile (other names are also valid, see the bash man page) contains bash commands. It is executed when bash is started as login shell, e.g. from the command bash --login . This is a useful place to define and export environment variables and bash functions that will be used by bash and the programs invoked by bash.
Execute bash script using CygWin Stack Exchange
Where it always is: in the root of your home folder. I don't think one is created during setup though, so you must create it yourself.... Since bash is designed for multi-user systems, each user has a personal initialization file that is sourced like /etc/profile is for the whole system, ~/.bash_profile. Additionally, there is a startup file ~/.bashrc that is sourced for all interactive shells.
Creating and using .bash_profile YouTube
The best way to set up environment variables in cygwin is to create a bash profile and execute that profile everytime you login and run the shell. how to become an amazon best selling author In any case, bash always supports tilde expansion and the point of .bash_profile is that only bash runs commands from it, so . ~/.profile is fine.) The . builtin sources a file, which is to say it runs all the commands from the file in the current shell.
bash/cygwin broken after installing rtool? Unix & Linux
I am trying to change my default shell from bash to zsh in cygwin. The normal unix command chsh isn't available on cygwin The etc/passwd file it seems isn't used anymore in existing versions of cygwin. how to create page breaks in html The best way to set up environment variables in cygwin is to create a bash profile and execute that profile everytime you login and run the shell.
How long can it take?
bash Where is .bash_profile? - Ask Ubuntu
- bash Why is my .bashrc not read under cygwin? - Server Fault
- SSH without password from Windows/Cygwin
- Creating a symlink with a colon in the name on cygwin bash
- Where is the .bash_profile located in cygwin faster
How To Create A Bash Profile In Cygwin
Common uses for ~/.bash_profile are to set environment variables such as PATH, JAVA_HOME, create aliases for shell commands and set the default permissions for newly created files etc. The file ~/.bashrc is similar, with the exception that .bash_profile runs only for Bash login shells and .bashrc runs for every new Bash …
- When you first install WSL, it will prompt you to create a new default Linux user. This user need not have the same name as the current Windows user, and is treated as a separate entity in general. You can even create multiple Linux users, controlled by a single Windows user.
- Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this documentation provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this documentation under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission
- I am trying to change my default shell from bash to zsh in cygwin. The normal unix command chsh isn't available on cygwin The etc/passwd file it seems isn't used anymore in existing versions of cygwin.
- I have to use a package on my Windows 7 OS but the package comes only with the .sh file so I have to use bash and hence Cygwin to run on my machine. But I am kinda familiar with Windows but completely new to Cygwin and shell programming.